3 Words to Sound Like a Bahamian
21. May 2013
When visiting a new place, many of us want to avoid sounding like a bumbling tourist. Of course, the people of the Exumas are exceptionally welcoming and will happily introduce you to their culture and favorite phrases. But for the over-achiever, here are three words that, said correctly, can make you sound like you didn’t come here, you’re from here:
The Bahamas are composed of a series of islands—or cays. Although spelled differently, the Bahamian “cay” is pronounced exactly the same as the Florida “Key.” Keeeeee.
This tasty slug has a beautiful shell, from which it is nearly impossible for the less skilled to extract him. (That’s a whole different lesson.) When ordering, remember that both ends are hard “k” sounds. Conch rhymes with “honk.” Beep beep, he’s good.
When you live on an island, the comings and goings of family, friends, and soon-to-be-friends is of utmost importance. When you get here, we say you “done reach.” Ignore the grammar. Accept the welcome!
With these words, you’re well on your way to becoming a local Exumian. Here at Hideaways Exuma Resort, we’ll be waiting for you when you reach.
- Swimmin’ with the Stingrays!
- What to Know about Visiting Exuma
- Family-Friendly Exuma
- Exuma Sunrises
- Travelling for Vacation
- Travelling During Hurricane Season
- Welcome to Great Exuma Island….
- Bird Watching in the Exumas
- Tropical, Beach Front Resort vs. Home Sharing Rentals
- Dining, Entertainment, & Dancing
- The Exuma Island's Upcoming Events
- Little Exuma Island – Lots to Offer!
- A Unique Exuma Excursion Experience
- What to Pack for Your Visit
- Bahamas Beachfront Inspiration
- Save on Your Exuma Vacation
- Summer Break on Exuma
- Bahamian Junkanoo in July
- Independent Exuma Exploration
- An Alternative to Sandals for Exuma
- Exuma is a Premier Beach Wedding Destination
- Bahamian Snorkel and Dive Vacations for All Skill Levels
- 2014 National Family Island Regatta
- Hillside Seclusion and Savings!
- Secrets of the Exumas Revealed
- The Exuma Villa Rental Question Resort or Private
- Bonefishing in the Exumas
- Lovely Vacations on Great Exuma
- Requirements for a Great Vacation
- An Exuma Holiday Vacation
- Hideaways Resort Upgrades
- Why Choose Exuma
- Heading South on Great Exuma
- Hideaways Takes a Short Break
- Return of the Lobster on Exuma
- After Booking a Beach Front Rental
- A Better Day on the Water
- Exuma Vacation Rentals for Families
- New Year, New Look, New Presence