Bahamian Junkanoo in July
11. July 2014
If you’ll be in the George Town, Exuma, area this month, listen up! Every weekend in July, there’s Junkanoo in Regatta Park.
Traditionally celebrated on Boxing Day (December 26th), Junkanoo is similar to Carnivale. Music troupes lay down a rhythmic base with drums and barrels and are joined by brass band musicians doing Bahamian melodies. Plus there are costumes, floats, and plenty of dancing. Even when the whole island turns out, there’s room to “rush out” with the parade and get your boogie on.
Although most people put Junkanoo on their Bahamas bucket list, even frequent visitors can have difficulty getting here in December, due to family and other holiday commitments back home. That’s why it’s great that the Bureau of Tourism has brought this event to Exuma during the summer. With kids off school and vacation in the air, frequent Bahamas guests and newcomers alike can enjoy this authentic celebration when their calendars permit.
If you have the option of jumping a plane for Exuma in the coming days, you might try to be here on July 10th, Bahamas Independence Day. Marking 41 years since leaving the British fold, the holiday is always over the top, and this year, we expect the local talent (and rumor has it, some from Nassau as well) to blow it out of Regatta Park.
Hopefully we’ll see you there!
- The Exuma Island's Upcoming Events
- Little Exuma Island – Lots to Offer!
- A Unique Exuma Excursion Experience
- What to Pack for Your Visit
- Bahamas Beachfront Inspiration
- Save on Your Exuma Vacation
- Summer Break on Exuma
- Independent Exuma Exploration
- An Alternative to Sandals for Exuma
- Exuma is a Premier Beach Wedding Destination
- Bahamian Snorkel and Dive Vacations for All Skill Levels
- 2014 National Family Island Regatta
- Hillside Seclusion and Savings!
- Secrets of the Exumas Revealed
- The Exuma Villa Rental Question Resort or Private
- Bonefishing in the Exumas
- Lovely Vacations on Great Exuma
- Requirements for a Great Vacation
- An Exuma Holiday Vacation
- Hideaways Resort Upgrades
- Why Choose Exuma
- Heading South on Great Exuma
- Hideaways Takes a Short Break
- Return of the Lobster on Exuma
- 3 Words to Sound Like a Bahamian
- After Booking a Beach Front Rental
- A Better Day on the Water
- Exuma Vacation Rentals for Families
- New Year, New Look, New Presence