Bonefishing in the Exumas
25. February 2014
Among the activities for which the Exumas are renowned is bonefishing. Surrounding Great Exuma are clear water shallows perfect for the sport. A low rising tide brings hungry bonefish and unparalleled action on the line.
If you’re going to embark on a bonefishing adventure, be sure to bring your amber polarized sunglasses for best vision of the tail-waving motion and mud swirls stirred up by these bottom-grubbing fish. Given our reliable tropical rays, hat, lip balm, and other sun-protective essentials are a must.
Beginners will have a lot to learn about fly placement and more, but Exuma’s fishermen are among the world’s premier experts and can quickly help you acquire the basic skills you need. In this regard, there may be no better than “Bonefish Stevie” Ferguson, who has been leading visitors through paradise for more than 20 years. An Exuma native who grew up fishing these flats, Stevie is a laid back island personality, equally adept in providing instruction or allowing experienced enthusiasts the opportunity to pursue their own style and rely on their instincts as they track these wily fish.
For equipment, Stevie recommends bringing fast to medium action rods in 8 or 9 weight. Packing back-ups isn’t a bad idea. You can see his suggestions for disc drag, line selection, and fly choice here.
If you don’t want to carry your own, many providers will supply gear. Simply check in advance for availability, so you’re not disappointed.
Although most Hideaways guests avail themselves of a guide, a DIY approach can also be fruitful, although more demanding of chart-reading skills and overall knowledge of bonefish habitats and behavior. Whether you rent a skiff, use a kayak, or even wade out on foot, there are opportunities galore to test your skill. Find tips here for planning an independent excursion.
Whether you go full package or self-guided, Hideaways is a great home-base for your bonefishing vacation. Conveniently located just outside George Town, we’re equidistant from top sites up and down the island. And our casual atmosphere is a comfort to return to after a spectacular, but likely tiring, day on the water.
- Tropical, Beach Front Resort vs. Home Sharing Rentals
- Dining, Entertainment, & Dancing
- The Exuma Island's Upcoming Events
- Little Exuma Island – Lots to Offer!
- A Unique Exuma Excursion Experience
- What to Pack for Your Visit
- Bahamas Beachfront Inspiration
- Save on Your Exuma Vacation
- Summer Break on Exuma
- Bahamian Junkanoo in July
- Independent Exuma Exploration
- An Alternative to Sandals for Exuma
- Exuma is a Premier Beach Wedding Destination
- Bahamian Snorkel and Dive Vacations for All Skill Levels
- 2014 National Family Island Regatta
- Hillside Seclusion and Savings!
- Secrets of the Exumas Revealed
- The Exuma Villa Rental Question Resort or Private
- Lovely Vacations on Great Exuma
- Requirements for a Great Vacation
- An Exuma Holiday Vacation
- Hideaways Resort Upgrades
- Why Choose Exuma
- Heading South on Great Exuma
- Hideaways Takes a Short Break
- Return of the Lobster on Exuma
- 3 Words to Sound Like a Bahamian
- After Booking a Beach Front Rental
- A Better Day on the Water
- Exuma Vacation Rentals for Families
- New Year, New Look, New Presence