Heading South on Great Exuma
13. September 2013
Santana’s, Manor Bakery & Tropic of Cancer Beach
There are a number of packaged tours, but for Hideaways Exuma guests who like to strike out on their own, we’ll be using this occasional series to suggest some fun itineraries. A car rental [link to rental car page] is necessary for today’s line-up, but it’s well worth it to combine a secluded beach with a knockout meal and a little something to bring back to your cottage or villa.
Leave Hideaways Exuma a little bit before lunchtime—whatever that means for you. 11:30 to 1 PM, maybe.
· First stop: Santana’s
Getting there is easy. Head south from Hideaways Exuma along the Queen’s Highway for about 20 miles. On the left, you’ll find an open-air tiki bar called Santana’s. This is your dining destination. Mom’s daughter (of “Mom’s bakery”) grew up cooking, and you’ll get the day’s offering of unbelievable Bahamian specialties—lobster, grouper, snapper, chicken, or whatever else is on the menu. Usually paired with native peas and rice and mac ‘n cheese or slaw, the entrees are nothing if not filling. And did we mention tasty?
· Second Stop: Manor Bakery a.k.a. “Mom’s”
Formerly known as Mom’s, Manor Bakery is located just next door to Santana’s. After you’ve finished an amazing lunch, step inside for some fresh bread and desserts. It’s Bahamian baking at its best. Grab a few slices of coconut bread for tomorrow. You’ll thank us for it!
· Third stop: Tropic of Cancer Beach
You could certainly waste an afternoon at Santana’s and Manor, but on your way back consider stopping at Tropic of Cancer beach, located (you guessed it!) right on the Tropic of Cancer. You’ll find the sign on the right a few miles north of Santana’s. You’ll usually have this crescent, white-sand beach to yourself, except on holidays and weekends. A covered picnic table is available if you skipped Sanatana’s lunch. The rocky overhang has some sea life to view at slack tide, but the real attraction is the beach. A photo simply can’t convey….
An alternative is to hit the beach early with some sandwiches from Prime Island Meats & Deli. Tour Manor Bakery before closing time and enjoy Santana’s for an evening meal. Whichever way you do it, you won’t be disappointed. Just be aware the bakery is closed weekends and Santana’s is closed Sundays. Can we recommend a Friday adventure?
For maps, hours of operation, and menus, ask at the Hideaways Exuma hotel desk and we’ll confirm everything before you make the trek.
- Tropical, Beach Front Resort vs. Home Sharing Rentals
- Dining, Entertainment, & Dancing
- The Exuma Island's Upcoming Events
- Little Exuma Island – Lots to Offer!
- A Unique Exuma Excursion Experience
- What to Pack for Your Visit
- Bahamas Beachfront Inspiration
- Save on Your Exuma Vacation
- Summer Break on Exuma
- Bahamian Junkanoo in July
- Independent Exuma Exploration
- An Alternative to Sandals for Exuma
- Exuma is a Premier Beach Wedding Destination
- Bahamian Snorkel and Dive Vacations for All Skill Levels
- 2014 National Family Island Regatta
- Hillside Seclusion and Savings!
- Secrets of the Exumas Revealed
- The Exuma Villa Rental Question Resort or Private
- Bonefishing in the Exumas
- Lovely Vacations on Great Exuma
- Requirements for a Great Vacation
- An Exuma Holiday Vacation
- Hideaways Resort Upgrades
- Why Choose Exuma
- Hideaways Takes a Short Break
- Return of the Lobster on Exuma
- 3 Words to Sound Like a Bahamian
- After Booking a Beach Front Rental
- A Better Day on the Water
- Exuma Vacation Rentals for Families
- New Year, New Look, New Presence